BJJ First Aid Kit - The essentials to have on hand, just in case...
Injuries are pretty much inevitable in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and that is why you should be prepared to handle various situations. Below we have compiled a few items that you should think of including in your emergency kit. We'd love to hear your opinion on these and please comment if we are missing anything.
- Tape (obviously). This is a crucial staple in the world of Jiu Jitsu. I recommend trying several different brands and finding what works best for you.
- Pre-Wrap for tape (save those leg hairs)
- Butterfly Bandages - Gashes will happen once in awhile. You can make these MacGyver style: http://www.webmd.com/first-aid/how-to-make-a-butterfly-bandage
- Fingernail Clippers (You know why)
- Alcohol wipes
- Lots of Ace Bandages - these are very versatile - use boxing hand wraps in a pinch
- Advil or your choice of anti-inflammatory pain reliever
- Instant cold packs or ice packs if you have a freezer
- Antiseptic Ointments and sprays
- Trauma Scissors (Tape sucks to get off if you don't have these)
- Latex Gloves and/or Non-Latex Gloves
- Sterile Gauze pads
- Oral thermometer (non-mercury/nonglass)
- 1 breathing barrier (with one-way valve)
- Absorbent compresses